Financial benefits for students with kids


Going to a university requires effort, especially if you have children. Balancing the demands of a degree with your parental responsibilities can be very challenging. However, there are several financial support options offered by Student Finance England to help you make it easier and achieve your academic goals. In this article, we will present some of the benefits available for students raising kids, who is eligible, and how you can apply. 

Parents' Learning Allowance

When you apply for Student Finance (Tuition Fee/Maintenance Loan), you can get a Grant on top of your loan (as a gift) that you don't need to repay. The Parents' Learning Allowance is available for students in England who have dependent children, under 18 and are enrolled in a full-time undergraduate course or Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course.  The grant is designed to help with the costs of studying and the amount given can range from £50 to £1,915 per year depending on your household income and the number of kids. It is paid in three installments directly to your bank account.

Childcare Grant

If you are a full-time student with a kid in childcare, you can apply for a Childcare Grant. Your kid must be under 15 or under 17 if they have special educational needs. How much you can get, depends on your income and the number of dependent children. This benefit is designed to help you reduce the cost of childcare while going to uni. You can apply for up to 85% of the fee you pay for childcare but not more than £188.90 per week for one child and £323.85 for two or more children. Bear in mind that the fee for childcare can vary considerably depending on where you live.

Applying for Student Grant

The application process for both the Parents' Learning Allowance and the Childcare Grant is easy. All you need to do is to tick the relevant boxes during your Student Finance application process. Visit Student Finance England website to check detailed information about eligibility and the application process, as well as where to call if you have any questions.

Please bear in mind after submitting your file you will be asked to provide evidence. Several documents are required. You need to send the Birth Certificate of your kid/s, Ofsted registration number, as well as proof of your Household Income (P60, Tax Declaration, or Payslips).

Ready to apply?

If you are a full-time undergraduate student, applying for a loan for the Academic 2023-24, you can apply now on If you need more information and help with your application, get in touch with us.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *